Saturday, September 18, 2010

WTF, kids say the darndest things. And me, as well.

Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning and flipped open the local paper (The Edmonton Journal) and started to read an article about how swearing seems to be much more apparent among kids than ever before. I don't know, this didn't seem like news to me - after all, when I was a kiddo, the minute my friends and I could drop the f-bomb among ourselves without parents listening in, we dropped without prejudice.

Then I saw my name. Yes, a tweet I wrote on Sunday night on my account (BPMDavidStone) about Kanye West's performance on the MTV Video Music Awards was quoted. However, the Journal cut off the rest of the article right around the point where I said, "eat a dick." Apparently the fact that the Journal actually printed the words "eat a dick" threw them off and they just decided to stop right there.

In any case, it appears that the article appeared in most PostMedia papers today, including the Vancouver Sun, which was not afraid to run the words "eat a dick" and printed the entire piece, which you can read right here. The Montreal Gazette, surprisingly, cut the article before they could even get to my bon mot. That's okay, Montreal, you're still a lovely city, I still love you.

And please, don't let your kids swear. Or at least teach them how to swear properly. When they're old enough. It's the responsible thing to do.

No comments: